- 8 ounces whole wheat penne pasta
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds thin asparagus, washed, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes rinsed
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but not mushy, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain the pasta, reserving about 1/2 cup of the pasta water.In a large saute pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the asparagus, season with pepper, and cook for 3 minutes until slightly soft. Add the cherry tomatoes and peas. Cook for 2 minutes. Pour the chicken stock into the pan and bring the mixture to a simmer. Cook until the tomatoes start to burst and the stock is reduced by half, about 3 minutes.
Transfer the asparagus mixture to a large serving bowl. Add the cooked pasta and 1/2 of the Parmesan. Toss well, adding reserved pasta water, if needed, to loosen the pasta. Garnish with the remaining Parmesan and chopped basil.