- 8 slices whole-grain bread
- 4 tablespoons 1/3 less fat cream cheese
- 4 teaspoons low-sugar orange marmalade
- 2 large eggs plus 2 egg whites
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups bran flakes cereal
- 2 tablespoons I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Light or Smart Balance
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar (optional)
Spread 4 bread slices with 1 tablespoon cream cheese each; spread the other 4 slices with 1 teaspoon marmalade each. Combine to make 4 sandwiches.
Whisk the whole eggs, egg whites, orange zest and juice, and vanilla in a shallow bowl. Place the bran flakes in a resealable plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin or your hands. Pour the crumbs onto a plate. Dip both sides of each sandwich in the egg mixture, then in the crumbs, gently pressing the crumbs onto the bread.Spray a skillet with cooking spray, Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a skillet or griddle over medium heat. Add the sandwiches in batches and cook until the outsides are golden and the insides are melted, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Add the rest of the butter for the second batch
Slice the French toast sandwiches. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar, if desired. Caution, inside will be very hot.