- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup Splenda sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 1 medium apple, peeled, cored, and finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 6 tablespoons I Can't Belive It's Not Butter Light, melted or Smart Balance
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup packed Splenda brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degree F. Coat a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, 1 teaspoon and cinnamon; mix well.
- In another large bowl, beat eggs with milk. Stir in chopped apple and melted butter. Add apple mixture to flour mixture and stir just until moistened. (Batter will be very stiff.) Fill muffin cups 2/3 full with batter, distributing evenly.
- Combine walnuts, brown sugar, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon; mix well. Sprinkle nut mixture evenly over batter.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Immediately remove from muffin pan. Serve warm