- 2 pounds ground lean turkey
- 1 cup ketchup, divided
- 1 small onion diced
- Optional- 1 cup frozen corn or 1 cup frozen spinach or 1 green bell pepper chopped (or use all)
- 1 (1-1/2-ounce) package meat loaf seasoning
- 3/4 cup whole wheat, dry bread crumbs or finely diced fresh whole wheat bread, (I use a chopper or food processor)
- 2 large eggs or 4 egg whites
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded 2% sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- cooking spray
- Combine beef, 1/2 cup ketchup, and next 6-8 ingredients (8 if using corn, spinach and pepper) in a large bowl; shape mixture in a 5-inch by 7-1/2-inch loaf. Place loaf in a lightly greased 3-quart oval slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on HIGH setting 1 hour. Reduce heat to LOW setting, and cook 3 hours. Remove ceramic insert from cooker, and carefully pour grease off meat loaf; return insert to cooker.
- Stir together remaining 1/2 cup ketchup and the mustard in a small bowl; spread over meat loaf. Cover and cook on LOW setting 45 more minutes or until thermometer inserted into meat loaf registers 160 degrees. Remove meat loaf from slow cooker, and let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Optional- you can also cook in the oven in a large loaf pan or 2 medium size loaf pans sprayed with cooking spray. Drain liquid before going to step #3.