You can omit cheese to keep it Paleo, but we use Vegan cheese for a weekend meal.
Preparation Time:15 min
Cooking Time:30-35 min
- 1 pound lean ground turkey or beef
- 1 (1/2 cup) medium onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- pinch of pepper
- 1 cup shredded vegan Colby Jack or Monterey Jack (or 1/2 cup salsa with excess liquid drained if you do not want to use cheese)
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 of baking powder
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 3 eggs
- Optional, frozen chopped green beans or spinach, thawed and drained
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray 9-inch glass pie plate with sunflower spray or lightly coat with coconut oil.
- In 10-inch greased skillet, cook meat, garlic and onion over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until meat is thoroughly cooked; drain. Stir in pepper. Optional- if using additional veggies, add now)Spread in pie plate; sprinkle with cheese or salsa.
- In medium bowl, stir flour, baking powder, milk, and eggs with whisk or fork until blended. Pour into pie plate. I actually pour about half of it in and stir it up really well to help hold it together and then spread the rest on the top.
- Bake 30 minutes or until inserted in center comes out clean. Check at 30 minutes and most likely you will need to cook an additional 5 minutes.
Optional- great with homemade or organic salsa or hot sauce