This recipe looks very long with tons of ingredients, it is really easy to prepare. It looks like a lot of ingredients because I gave many options on what to throw into your pot of chili. All optional or low fat but non Paleo ingredients are in bold print.
- 1 1/2 - 2 lbs lean ground turkey or beef
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 yellow or orange bell pepper diced
- 1 white or yellow onion diced
- 1 medium size bag or container of fresh or frozen spinach
- Optional- (If following a clean or lean eating plan but not Paleo, a small to medium size bag of frozen corn is great in this recipe)
- Optional- Diced zucchini, yellow squash, mushrooms, diced eggplant, prepared spaghetti squash or frozen green beans chopped
- 2, 14.5-15 oz cans organic no salt added tomato sauce (depending on how much meat or Optional salsa you use, you may need to add a little more sauce or a second can of tomatoes)
- 1, 14.5-15 oz can organic no salt added diced tomatoes
- Optional- 1 cup medium salsa homemade or we like On the Boarder (lower sodium, very few ingredients)
- Depending on how many veggies you add and what consistency you want your chili to be, you may need to add a little Organic Beef, Chicken or Vegtable broth. I use low sodium Vegtable broth.)
- 2 Tbsp Chili Powder (adjust to preference, I use closer to 3 Tbsp)
- 1 Tsp cumin (you can use more and adjust to preference, I use closer to 1 Tbsp)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (adjust to taste)
- A few shakes of crushed red pepper
This recipe is very easy to adjust to spice preference either by adding more or less medium salsa, crushed red pepper or chili powder. A few dashes of hot sauce or cayenne pepper will kick the taste up. If you do not follow Paleo just a low fat diet, a can of Rotel in place of the organic diced tomatoes or in addition too is very good in this chili.
In a large sprayed skillet, brown the meat, peppers and onion, after about 5 minutes add the spinach, mushrooms and corn, stir and cover, stir occasionally and break up the spinach if frozen
When the meat is done, drain
If using zucchini, yellow squash, eggplant or green beans, steam to tender crisp (do not over steam) and add to the chili before simmering.
In a large sauce pan add the sauce, salsa, diced tomatoes and all of the spices.
Add the meat and stir well
Add any Optional steamed veggies
Cover and simmer on medium low for about 25-30 minutes, Stir occasionally
If you like noodles in your chili, Add spaghetti squash after the chili is finished and stir well
You could also combine all the ingredients into a crock pot to simmer after the meat mixtures is browned and drained
This is great served with Paleo Almond Biscuits for dipping. These can be found in my Paleo Sloppy Joes Recipe. http://flavorfulandfit.blogspot.com/2013/02/paleo-sloppy-joes-over-paleo-biscuits.html